Informal Estate Proceedings
Informal Estate proceedings are commenced by filing PC558 Application for Informal Probate and/or Appointment of Personal Representative (Testate/Intestate) and other necessary documents. The Application is for the Probate Register to admit the original will, if any, to probate and/or appoint a personal representative. If the Application is granted, the Register will sign a form called Register's Statement PC568 admitting the will and/or appointing a personal representative. An appointed personal representative becomes qualified to act by filing an Acceptance of Appointment PC571 and any required bond. The personal representative will proceed with unsupervised administration until the estate is closed (unless the judge orders that the estate becomes "supervised" following a petition requesting supervised administration).
Forms needed to open file
1. PC558 Application for Informal Probate and/or Appointment of Personal Representative
2. Copy of death certificate
3. PC565 Testimony to identify Heirs – Must be notarized or signed in front of a deputy register at the court.
4. PC566 Supplemental Testimony to Identify Heirs (if a devisee is not an Heir) - Must be notarized or signed in front of a deputy register at the court.
5. PC567 Renunciation of Right to Appointment, Nomination of Personal Representative and Waiver of Notice (if needed)
6. PC568 Register’s Statement
7. Original Last Will and Testament (if the decedent had one)
9. PC572 Letters of Authority
There is a $175 filing fee that must be paid at the time the petition is filed. Please include an additional $12 for each copy of certified Letters of Authority needed.