Guardianships & Conservatorships

The Probate Court decides if a person cannot manage daily life (guardianship) or finances (conservatorship). The court also decides who should serve as a guardian or conservator to help such a person.

The Probate Court may appoint a guardian or conservator of a minor or a guardian or conservator of an adult. If a person is a developmentally disabled person, the court applies the Mental Health Code in deciding the case. A guardian of the person or guardian of the estate may be appointed for a developmentally disabled person.