Motor Vehicle Title Transfer

If a decedent dies with no probate assets (i.e., owns nothing in their name alone) except for one or more motor vehicles whose total value is not more than $60,000, title to the vehicles can be transferred by the Secretary of State without opening an estate in the Probate Court.

This entire procedure is done at a Secretary of State Office, not the Probate Court.

Title to the motor vehicles(s) will be given according to the following priority:
  • Surviving spouse
  • Surviving descendants (i.e., children and/or grandchildren).
  • Surviving parents
  • Surviving grandparents or descendants of predeceased grandparents
For More Information
See Department of State for detailed information at the Department of State website.